Hmm, say what? Ugly?
– My car, which hasn’t been washed since September? (Feel free to come over and doodle funny pictures and swear words in the grime.)
– Or my bathroom, complete with overflowing laundry hamper (yet again)? That’s seriously starting to smell like a locker room?
– Or me, as I lay on the floor in a trembling, unwashed heap after a ridiculous afternoon workout which combined a tempo run and a body power class?
– Or Bubba Sparxxx? (Kind of a fantastic video, BTW.)
– Or…this weird thing?
I have a weakness for produce-aisle oddities, so Fresh Market found a sucker tonight with their special on “Jamaican UGLI Fruit!”
I feel prettier already.
For the record, the Ugli wasn’t so ugly on the inside:
I’m sure there’s an Important Self-Affirming Lesson to be had here, but I’ll skip it and just say that this was basically a very large, very sweet, very expensive orange. Touche, Fresh Market. Touche.
Today’s EAT: Dinner was anything but ugly. In fact, it was pretty darn cute.
I took this rather infamous Ina Garten Chicken Pot Pie recipe and made it in to mini-cupcake-pan pies. And it was delicious.
- I halved the butter (I love butter, but 3 TBSP/serving is a little much even for me!)
- Subtracted peas (gross)
- Added sliced baby bella mushrooms
- Skipped the cream
- Used frozen puff pastry
The baking time was much shorter with the smaller sized pies (about 35 minutes). I’d never attempted any kind of Pot Pie before and I was really pleased at how these came out! The hubs and I both loved them.
Today’s DRINK: Unfortunately, I was slightly less impressed with tonight’s wine selection:
This Four Vines “Naked” Chard didn’t really do it for me – especially not for a slightly-splurgish price of $13. I guess I am just an oakey/buttery kind of girl.
Today’s RUN: I made a workout sandwich today. Here’s how ya do:
– 2 mile warm up
– Grunt your way through a quick 2 mile tempo (7:20 + 7:13)
– Jog an easy mile-ish over to the gym
– Pretend to have the coordination necessary to complete an hour-long “body power” class (basically the non-branded version of BodyPump). Glower at your fellow attendees when you realize that all of the 12 and 15-lb bars are taken, leaving your already-fatigued self to labor under the weight of an 18-lb bar. Curse and sweat profusely.
– 2 mile cool down back home
All in all, a pretty solid 7 miles and a decent strength workout too. And I was spent when I finally got back home.
Hey, this is kind of cool: because I have actually tracked all of my workouts in 2011 (I think) on Strands, I have stats for the month of January:
Total miles: 143.29
Total time: 20:18:21
Average pace: 8:30
Days trained: 24/31
Good to know. That mileage number should probably have been about 30 miles higher, but that’s okay. You can’t improve if you don’t know you’ve got a problem, right? Let’s do it, February.
Today’s QUESTION: Does your grocery store sell weird stuff in the produce aisle? Do you ever buy it?
P.S. It’s my Half Birthday today! If I were still in elementary school, I’d be bringing cupcakes to class and trying to convince my classmates to show a little enthusiasm for a poor neglected August baby.