I eat. A lot. Sometimes healthy, sometimes not. I like to think of myself as a foodie but acknowledge how freaking pretentious that sounds. I really love french fries and bacon but am learning to enjoy vegetables, too. I cook, like, every night. Feel free to come join me for dinner.
I drink. With enthusiasm! I’m a pro at raiding the Trader Joe’s wine aisle and the single-beer-bottle section at the local liquor warehouse. A meal is incomplete without a wine or beer pairing, if you ask me.
I run. Because I’ve been doing it forever? Since my first day of cross-country practice my freshman year of high school, I’ve been hooked. 17 years later, I can’t imagine my life without a daily run. Nerd alert: I genuinely love track workouts.
1. I love to travel. And just not to, like, beach resorts where you sit on your ass in a pool chair with other white people all day. (Although I won’t turn them down from time to time!) My favorite trips so far have been to Africa (Kenya and Tanzania), Asia (Cambodia and Vietnam) and the Middle East (Lebanon and Jordan). Current dream trip: trekking in the Himalayas or Patagonia, Argentina.
2. I’m a snarky little wench. I don’t take myself particularly seriously. And you shouldn’t either. Assume that most things written on here are exaggerated by a factor of approximately 142%. (Except for running stats and pace times. And recipe measurements. Those are always for reals!)
3. I love MS Paint. It’s becoming kind of a problem.
4. I hate pickles. Everyone always asks me about this and I don’t even know how to respond anymore. If I have to explain it to you, then you’re obviously One Of Them.
5. I like my cats more than I like most people. It’s true. Sorry. Unless you can crawl up on my bosom and purr ferociously. (Um…not that anyone needs to try.)
6. I’m not sure what the point of this blog actually is. To share recipes and wine reviews? To whine about my workouts and races? To pontificate brilliantly on the other random things that happen to me? All of the above?
7. You can hire me. Seriously! I’m a fledgling freelance writer and I’d love to work for you. I promise I can tackle other topics with as much gusto as I do inexpensive Chardonnay and mile repeats. And I’m cheap. (That’s what he said?) Email me: shelbyvanpelt [at] gmail [dot] com.
8. I feel like this page needs an obligatory photo or two. So, voila:
The crankypants. And:
Thanks for stopping by!